SCHOLARSHIPS FOR THE ACADEMIC YEAR
The Institute of Hispanic Culture (IHCH) is now accepting applications for scholarships that will be granted to high school, college, and graduate school students for the 2022-2023 academic year.
GOAL: The goal of the Scholarships Committee is to reflect the Mission of The Institute of Hispanic Culture of Houston, which is:
- To celebrate and empower the Hispanic Community by promoting arts, culture and education.
- To help Hispanic students fulfill their higher education aspirations in any field of expertise.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL APPLICANTS:
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens, legal residents of the U.S.A., or DACA eligible non-citizens as defined by FAFSA. Students with student visas are not eligible.
- They must be residents of the greater Houston Metropolitan area and be enrolled or anticipate to enroll in an accredited High School, junior college, college or university in Texas.
- High school students need to submit an official transcript from their high school(s) time they submit their application. College or junior college students may submit a copy of their transcripts from all colleges or universities they have attended. An official transcript will be required if selected.
- Graduate students may submit a copy of their transcripts. An official transcript will be required if selected.
- High School students must have an overall grade point average of 3.0 or its equivalent if GPA is based on a scale of 4. If GPA is based on a scale of 5, students must have a grade point average of 3.3.
- High school students whose transcript does not show a GPA score or class rank should get a written statement from a school official indicating what the student’s GPA is, the rating scale that has been used and the student’s class rank. Such statement must be on school letterhead paper.
- College or junior college students must have an overall grade point average of 3.0 or its equivalent. Students from colleges or universities that do not include a GPA score on transcripts must write their GPA equivalent to the standard national GPA on the application form.
- The Scholarship Committee prioritizes financial needs applications, including evidence (e.g. income tax returns) is encouraged.
- The Scholarship Committee reserves the right to hold interviews, if necessary.
- College students must take at least 9 hours per semester during the semester they use the scholarship.
- All college students must have declared their major or minor by their sophomore year.
- To be considered for another one-year scholarship, previous IHCH scholarship recipients must reapply and comply with all the conditions listed under General Requirements.
Scholarship recipients are encouraged but not required to do volunteer work with IHCH and to participate in the IHCH programs and events during the term in which the scholarship is used. The duration and conditions of their volunteer commitment will be determined by the student and the Scholarship Committee.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT APPLICATION:
- Applications may be submitted by mail, postmarked no later than July 31, 2022.
- For the application to be accepted it must be fully completed and it should include:
- Transcript(s) Official transcript will be required if selected.
- Copy of college acceptance letter or proof of enrollment for the 2022-2023 calendar year.
- Scholarship awards must be used for the 2022-2023 academic year.
OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION:
- Applicants will be judged on the basis of academic excellence, community engagement, extracurricular activities and financial need.
- Scholarship funds will be sent directly to the Financial Aid Office of the Texas College or university where the student will use it.
- Scholarship money will be returned to the IHCH if the intended program of study is not completed.
- In order to receive the award, the scholarship recipients must attend the awards reception (Date to be determined). Only absence due to unforeseeable circumstances will be accepted. In such case, a representative must be present to the award ceremony or the scholarship award will be forfeited.
- Non-completion of the course requirements by the student may be subject to legal sanctions.
Miss Laura Gabriela Vazquez
Miss Priscilla Ell
Mr. Sameer Z. Diab
by Innovative Radiology
Mr. Daniel Velasquez