SCHOLARSHIPS FOR THE ACADEMIC YEAR
The Institute of Hispanic Culture (IHCH) is now accepting applications for scholarships that will be granted to high school, college, and medical school students for the 2019-2020 academic year. Scholarship funds will be in the amount of $.1000.00
GOAL: The goal of the Scholarships Committee is to reflect the Mission of The Institute of Hispanic Culture of Houston, which is:
- To disseminate the Hispanic language, arts, literature, culture, and
- To help Hispanic students fulfill their higher education aspirations in any field of expertise.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL APPLICANTS:
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or legal residents of the U.S.A. Students with student visas are not eligible.
- They must be residents of the Houston Metropolitan area and be enrolled or anticipate to enroll in an accredited junior college or college or university in Harris or adjacent counties.
- High school students need to submit an official transcript from their high school(s) at the time they submit their application. College or junior college students must submit official transcripts from all colleges or universities they have attended.
- Graduate students will enclose an official transcript of their graduate work. If they have completed only one semester of graduate work, they should include a transcript or transcripts of their undergraduate work. Copies of transcripts are not acceptable.
- With each application, the student should enclose two letters of recommendation written in the form provided by the IHCH in two sealed envelopes signed on the back by the recommending instructor.
- High School students must have an overall grade point average of 3.0 or its equivalent if GPA is based on a scale of 4. If GPA is based on a scale of 5, students must have an overall grade point average of 3.3.
- High school students whose transcript does not show a GPA score or class rank should get a written statement from a school official indicating what the student’s GPA is, the rating scale that has been used and the student’s class rank. Such statement must be on school letterhead paper.
- College or junior college students must have an overall grade point average of 3.0 or its equivalent. Students from colleges or universities that do not include a GPA score on transcripts (Rice University, for example) must write their GPA equivalent to the standard national GPA on the application form.
- The Scholarship Committee reserves the right to require evidence of financial need (e.g.income tax returns).
- Applicants must participate in an interview in English or Spanish. In addition, students will be required to write and submit a short essay in English or Spanish (minimum 50 words, maximum 100 words) immediately prior to the interview.
- College students must take at least 9 hours per semester during the semester they use the scholarship.
- High School applicants must have completed three years of Spanish language, or the equivalent (such as CLEP, AP, IB, and SAT II), and be ranked in the top half of their class).
- Second-year college students who are going to major in Spanish language, literature, and culture, must have a minimum of two semesters of college Spanish or its equivalent (same as #10 above).
- Third and fourth-year students who are going to major in Spanish language, Literature, or culture, must have a minimum of four semesters of college Spanish or its equivalent (same as #10 and #11above).
- The scholarship may also be used for any accredited summer or interim program abroad of at least four weeks duration, sponsored by an accredited Houston Area College or University. Summer or interim program scholarships can be received only once.
- All college students must have declared their major or minor by their sophomore year.
- To be considered for another one-year scholarship, previous IHCH scholarship recipients must reapply and comply with all the conditions listed under General Requirements.
Scholarship recipients are encouraged but not required to do volunteer work at the IHCH office during the term in which the scholarship is used. The duration and conditions of their volunteer work will be determined by the student and the Institute’s office manager (a minimum of 20 hours per semester).
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT APPLICATION:
- Applications may be submitted by mail, postmarked no later than September 15th, 2019 or hand delivered to the IHCH Offices, no later than 2:00 p.m. on September 13, 2019.
- For the application to be accepted it must be fully completed and it should include: 1) Official Transcript(s), 2) two (2) letters of recommendation in sealed envelopes, with the signature of the person writing the recommendation on the back of the envelope and 3) everything should be typed or printed in a legible manner.
- Scholarship awards must be used for the 2019-2020 academic year.
OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION:
- Applicants will be judged on the basis of academic excellence, and financial need.
- Scholarship funds will be sent directly to the Financial Aid Office of the Texas college or university where the student will use it.
- Scholarship money will be returned to the IHCH if the intended program of study is not completed.
- In order to receive the award, the scholarship recipients must attend the awards reception (Date to be determined). Only absence due to unforeseeable circumstances will be accepted. In such case, a representative must be present to the award ceremony or the scholarship award will be forfeited.
- Non-completion of the course requirements by the student may be subject to legal sanctions.
- Scholarship application forms may be obtained either from The Institute of Hispanic Culture of Houston webpage (IHCH.org), the high school counselor’s office, or the financial aid office of the attending junior college, college or university. Applications must be submitted to:
Institute of Hispanic Culture of Houston
Attn: Scholarship and Awards Committee
3315 Sul Ross St., Houston, Texas 77098
Miss Laura Gabriela Vazquez
Miss Priscilla Ell
Mr. Sameer Z. Diab
by Innovative Radiology
Mr. Daniel Velasquez